Re: DNS: Minutes of ADNA Board Meeting #3, 5.11.97

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:38:17 +1100
Trademarks are not unilateral - they are qualified by an activity
category,and are only unique within the nominated category.

What consideration has been given to ensuring that
a trademark-related domain does not itself become the
source of further name clashes and consequent dispute
where valid holders of a the same mark in defferent
service categories both assert right to use <anme>.tm.au?

Without such consideration included in the proposal I'd
certainly call this response a NOT "sufficiently favourable"
one.

(Yes it is resolveable -

  - create 3lds with a 1:1 mapping to current service marks

  - place the domain user the auspices of AIPO, who adminster the
    Australian trademark space.

though I for one canot see what it would do for 'competition'
in com.au)

Thanks,

  Geoff