Re: DNS: Draft selection criteria for new DNAs and 2LDs

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:37:44 +0000
At 11:25 19/07/97 +0900, you wrote:
>At 16:38 18/07/97 +1000, Chris Chaundy wrote:
>>There hasn't been much discussion on this since Simon's comments so I'll
>>toss in a few more (apart from basically agreeing with Simon's):
>>

>And apart from basically agreeing with Chris' comments, can I say something
>here, viz:
>
>**HELLO!!!????**
>
>Is there likely to be any actual comment to my questions, either from
>people directly working in ADNA on this issue or from other interested
>parties, apart from Chris' input?
>
>It was good of Kevin Dinn to post the draft criteria to this list for
>comment. If nobody actually cares about these criteria, then let's just
>have ADNA accept letters of interest from prospective DNA's along with a
>statement that they promise to do their best, have them accept anyone with
>a 2mb/sec or faster link and a promise to try hard, and let them go for it.

Simon,

Thanks for all your efforts to gee-up this issue, sorry I haven't been much
help so far - I'll try and fix this as of now.

>Otherwise, if these criteria are going to actually be used, then it's vital
>that those in ADNA who are working on this take the time to *respond* to my
>comments. We were invited to "comment copiously". I did that. The silence
>is both deafening and worrying.

Yes - sorry about that - I'm afraid I lost your earlier mail, thanks for
the new copy - I will forward it with my comments.

>I'm trying to contribute. I hate feeling like I'm doing it in a vacuum. My
>comments to the draft, a while ago now, weren't trivial and deserved some
>sort of response. I've been lead to believe that the timetable to turn that
>draft into something concrete is pretty short.

Yes - its pretty rare to get enthusiastic, constructive contributions on
this discussion, yours should have been treated with more respect.

>Can someone in ADNA also remind us of:
>
>	- the deadlines for intended future work in appointing DNA's in com.au

Currently the schedule is tenatively: The criteria need to be decided on by
the end of July. They will be available for applicants as of then, the
first applications will be received mid August and hopefully there will be
new DNAs soon after.

>	- the process by which feedback to comments is going to be handled by
>those working on the selection criteria document? (and/or who,
>specifically, is working on incorporating changes into the document, and on
>what timetable?)

All discussion on this topic is currently going on on this list. Other
groups have been given copies of the criteria but no responses have been
received from them as yet.

>I was told a while ago that the "DNASEL" list, used to create the draft
>document, was disbanded and that discussion would now happen 'here' (dns
>list) - so I didn't need to join it. What am I missing?

Yep - DNASEL is dead, you're not missing anything.

>Heck, another association I'm a member of has joined ADNA, I'm one of the
>designated contact points for that association with respect to ADNA and I
>*still* have no idea what's going on.

And you think we do?

>Yours in frustration,

We'll fix that.