Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Stephen Gillies <max§max.net.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:03:54 +1000
>>How many people actually FIND a service based purely on the DNS
>>name, and randomly try entering URLs to their favourite browser?
>
>Well, quite a few, actually.  Including me.  Even on the assumption
>that a percentage of the time you may not get the site you want, its
>quite an effective strategy.  For all the times when it works its
>soooooo much simpler & quicker than a search engine that its worth
>trying first up before going to the search.

 on a related note:

 Our research has found that more than just a few (around 65% of
 the users polled who use the internet) will guess the url of the
 company they are looking for and if they are not successful, they
 assume that the company in question is not on the net. (ie, wont
 bother searching. one of the reasons given for not searching is
 they cant be bothered scrolling through pages of meaningless
 references to other sites which match the keywords they offer)

 One of the criticisms of the Dick Smith site for example, is that
 the URL is www.dse.com.au rather than www.dicksmith.com.au. There
 are trickier ones, this is just an example. I wonder how many
 would guess Coke's website?

 Max.

 max&#167;max.net.au