Re: DNS: DNS proposal

From: Luke Carruthers <luke§magna.com.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:12:19 +1000 (EST)
> Would this be a little silly to put them in charge of Internet name space
> when the an overseas authority delegated kre the right and I would asume
> can just as easily take it away.
>
> How strong is the delegation of .au to kre ?

The point most often disregarded on the issue of authority is that there
are in reality two sources of it when it comes to the DNS - IANA via
Robert Elz, and the Australian government.  In the end, anything happening
within Australia is under the authority of the relevant area of the
Australian government.  In this case, that means that whatever organisation
operates as DNA for .au - i.e. is in charge of the Internet name space -
does so under the direction and auspices of the federal government,
whether explicitly or implicitly.

Luke Carruthers
Magna Data
Internet Solutions Provider