Re: DNS: Trading domain names

From: Stewart Carter <edireport§attmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 09:34:51 +0000
As well as social costs, I see the trading of domain names as involving some
considerable benefits. I also believe that trading is inevitable, and needs
not just to be recognised as such, but accomodated by our registration
authorities.

After all the supply of unique com.au domain names is limited, and so there
will inevitably be competing demands for particular names.

Trading resolves the competing demands by awarding a name to those willing to
pay the highest price for it.

Increasing the supply of unique names, by removing the current com.au
prohibitions on generic/dictionary names will not obviate the need for
trading, but may help to alleviate unsatisifed demand pressure for names in
general.

The creation of alternative sources of supply of domain names for businesses,
such as the proposed biz.au would also help in that regard. But the advent of
new second level domains is also problematic in many respects, a goodly number
of which have already been outlined in discussions on this list.

My inclination is to think that it would be better to encourage less
restrictive com.au policies and to accomodate and facilitate trading in com.au
names, rather than to encourage the establishment of new second level domains,
such as biz.au.

Similarly, where existing com.au domain name holders of Melbourne IT have
difficulties/disagreements with their administrative policies ( such as in the
anniversary versus common renewal debate) I thought the current framework
encouraged/allowed for alternative and competing com.au registration bodies to
be established.

This might be academic, of course if biz.au is already up and running. So what
is the current status of biz.au?

Stewart Carter,
ECA Messaging Group,
edireport&#167;attmail.com

Disclaimer: I'd be disappointed if someone, somewhere didn't share my views,
but I'm not actually claiming anyone does.