Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:52:16 +1000
At 03:06 10/12/96 +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:
>Logically an acn.au name system should be operated by the name authority
>by which acn.au is derived. So with all respect you are talking about the ASC
>as the operator rather than Simon and Hugh. Sure the ASC _may_ subcontract,
>but I can forsee all kinds of issues if Simon and Hugh attempt to
independantly second
>track the actions of the ASC as a naming body and if or whatever reason they
>get it wrong.

I have no objections to the above, apart from the normal uncertainty in
this sort of situation regarding whether the logical authority for the name
space (in this case, the ASC) are able to

a) understand the situation well enough to realize that they SHOULD be
subcontracting the operational issues related to such a domain

b) are able to select appropriate operators for same.

Rather as NSI in the USA have subcontracted to provide the operational work
to sustain operations in .COM and .NET in the USA, it would seem sensible
to contemplate the ASC doing the same in an "acn.au" domain.

Perhaps the middle ground would be to avoid attempting to populate the
ACN.AU domain space with ASC supplied data in the first instance, but
merely to operate the domain on the basis that we'd install delegations for
any organization who provide proof-of-ACN information directly to us, and
then if it seems that anyone cares, we can approach the ASC to ask them
whether they want to take it further.

Simon

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777