Re: DNS: COM.AU DNA's Progress Report after Week 2

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:21:12 +1100 (EST)
I simply cannot let this one go past to the keeper...

I've still got 4 outstanding questions addresses to Melbourne IT - I
note the slicence has been impressive but hardly illuminating.

Before I respond to this let me make one very simple point.

Trust cannot be purchased, nor can trust be instilled by
administrative fiat. Trust is the result of being open with those you
deal with.  For as long as Melbourne IT operates com.au exclusively,
and while it does so in a way which admits no public disclosure of the
fate of the funds collected via this activity, then trust is a very
scant resource which I don't see much evidence of, nor do I have high
expectation thereof.

But what I wanted to do was respond to Andrew's message regarding the
AUNIC statment in the responses AUNIC generates - the AUNIC services
ARE PROVIDED FREE OF END USER CHARGE.  The fact that we have managed
to do this to date in spite of massive increase in transaction levels
is a result of the committed support of Telstra and a dedicated effort
of myself and Paul at the AUNIC to automate as much as possible while
maintaining the integrity of the registration service. I think it
quite reasonable that we inform clients of the registry service that
we can continue to provide this service without charge to them.

Indeed I do not see it as an "unfortunate misunderstanding" that we
are undertaking our public contribution to the administrative
infrastructure of the Internet here in Australia by operating this
service. Quite the reverse. And I believe we are entitled to inform
the clients of this registry service that this is a service which is
operated without charge to them.

Thanks,

 Geoff Huston
 Technical Manager