Re: INET: Re: DNS: URGENT - We must take a stand against Melbourne IT

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:35:57 +1000

>>Promising clients that there will be no further fees does seem a bit naive
>>in a changing environment.  Furthermore, ISPs generally charge in the region
>>of $200-$250 for a registration service that involves filling out a few forms
>>and creating a DNS table entry.  It does seem a bit rich to be bleating
>>about Melbourne IT's fees when ISP's have indulged in similar behaviour.
>>I'm sure you could could cop the initial $125 out of the registration fee
>>you have already charged, and still make a good profit!

If you think that's all there is to it for the $250, you're not providing
the level of service many ISP's provide for that money.

The point however is that if you don't like what a given ISP provides, you
change ISP's. If you don't like the charging policies of Melbourne IT and
you can't get them to agree with you point of view (esp with respect to
existing names in the com.au space), you... do what exactly?

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777