Re: DNS: Re: Melbourne IT/Domains

From: Gary Oliver <gary.oliver§ooo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:57:53 +1000
Peter Gerrand wrote:

> Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> >
> > There WILL NOT be any mandatory re-registration in January or Feburary according
> > to Robert Elz. What is to happen hasnt been sorted out as far as I am aware.
>
> You seem to be seriously misinformed.  The Pricing Policy under which
> COM.AU DNA operates, which includes the renewal fees, was endorsed by
> the DNS Industry Forum at  meetings in October, before Melbourne IT
> commenced its commercial bureau DNA service. The timing of
> re-registration is an operational matter under the delegation of the
> COM.AU DNA. We placed Public Notices in the national newpapers on 1 and
> 2 November, giving three months' notice of the need to renew
> registrations for COM.AU DNs by 1 February 1997.
>
> > Also... not many people responded to my Billing questions.... as in why do they
> > do only Credit Card Transactions....
>
> Melbourne IT will accept cheques (made out to Melbourne Information
> Technologies Australia Pty Ltd), but will only start processing an
> application when the relevant credit is established. Personal cheques
> are therefore not recommended, because they can take up to seven working
> days to be cleared by the banks. However if you send Melbourne IT a bank
> cheque to cover your registration request(s), we will start processing
> the relevant application from the time that both the bank cheque and the
> registration requests are received. After 22 November, we will also be
> in a position to accept direct bank transfers into a nominated COM.AU
> DNA bank account.
>
> > How are they going to charge for renewals? I dont have a credit card.. I deal
> > with my domains directly.. not through any isp... I certinaly hope I get an
> > invoice... NOT a demand for a credit card number.
>
> See the options for payment mentioned above, which include cheques. We
> plan to send an advance notice by email for renewals of registration,
> with a form that you can print out and use as an invoice.
>
> > Also.. what happens if NIC info is out of date... who are you going to send
> > the invoice to?
>
> That is a very good point. Allocatees of COM.AU DNS can update their
> Administrative and Technical Contact information free at the AUNIC
> registry, and are encouraged to do so; however almost certainly some
> will have have neglected to do so.
> Melbourne IT will make best efforts to locate the Administrative and
> Technical Contacts, firstly by e-mail, and if that fails, by phone or
> fax to their company or registered business if it still exists.
>
> Regards
> PG
>
> --
> Professor Peter Gerrand
> CEO, Melbourne IT
> Level 3, 207 Bouverie St
> CARLTON Vic. 3053 Australia
> Tel. +61 3 9344 9300
> Fax. +61 3 9347 9473
> Email: ceo&#167;MelbourneIT.com.au
> Home page: http://www.MelbourneIT.com.au/Peter

Surely it would be simpler to change one of the captions (eg admin) to
say "Renewal Contact" thus avoiding any ambiguity in the future about
where renewal info should be directed. As you also point out, people
could then update the info and M-IT could alert people to this
responsibility..

Warm regards
Gary