Re: INET: Re: DNS: URGENT - We must take a stand against Melbourne IT

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:54:03 +1100 (EST)
As promised I've cut the cc list to just dns - I advise others to do
the same.

I believe there are two problems here with the the com.au structure:

- exclusive operation of a segment of the DNS carries what I contend
are unacceptable levels of risk through the problems inherant in
monopoly structures.

- the lack of derivation of authority of any operator.

I indicated in a previous message that I would see a public membership
body being a vehicle for the derivation of authority, and would
happily see the actual non-exclusive operation of the delegated domain
being undertaken by multiple entities.

Geoff