Re: DNS: Re: Melbourne IT/Domains

From: Warren Read <warren§read.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:02:57 +1100
At 12:52 PM 13/11/96 +1100, you wrote:

>>>I think so. Isn't it normal business practice to accept business cheques?
>>>Most companies do not operate with credit cards, but rather with business
>>>cheque accounts.
>>
>>What I don't get is if you read the fine print in most credit merchanting
>>agreements, on mail/phone/fax transactions the bank or credit card companies
>>are no more tied to honouring a transaction than a bank normally is to
>>clearing a business/personal cheque.
>>
>>Indeed they tend to reserve the right to take the money back from the
>>merchant even after a considerable time if there is any dispute etc.
>>
>12 months to be precise.
>
>I do not see why they can't just accept a personal cheque and IF it bounces
>/ is dishonored, delete any domain names.
>
>Regards
>Daniel Clarke
>MacroTec

Melbourne IT is a new organisation that has grown out of the academic world
with little or no commercial experience.  This is quite evident from the
imposed commercial terms and conditions. They may well modify the
accounting conditions if sufficient complaints are made to them.
Alternatively people will get used to the system and eventually accept it
as the cost of obtaining a com.au name.  In time, more name registeries
will be available and no doubt offer different terms and conditions and
perhaps because of Melbourne IT's current policy this may happen sooner
than later.